Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

About

Thursday, January 30, 2014

We moved the farm!


This post is WAY overdue, but it's big news...Prairie Fields Farm has moved!  Let me tell you, this was no small task.  When I moved to the small farmhouse I spent the last eight years in, it was just me.  Just me and a few kitties.  This time it was me, a husband, three children, dogs, cats, sheep, honeybees, and EVERYTHING that goes with them.  Moving is stressful enough when you're just going from a standard single-family home to another.  Moving a FARM is in class all by itself.  I am so glad it's over.

We had needed to move for a long time.  We were in a very small, very old little farmhouse on the family property that my grandmother very graciously let us live in.  The family has always called it the Little House and it is just over 130 years old.  With it's age came deterioration.  Despite our constant fixing up, the poor house was just telling us it was ready to die.  Let it go.  Mix into the equation the complete lack of space, we had to get out of there!

We spent many hours looking for farms that were for sale both here in Ohio and out of state.  We found a few we liked.  One we loved.  Despite our best efforts, none of them became ours.  We didn't really know what we were going to do because we were out of time.  We had to move.  Well, just when things looked about as bad and dire as they could, my mother and brother had an idea......Why not move back to the main homestead and original farm?  What?!  The house I grew up in?  Really?!  We just never entertained the idea before because I always believed my brother wanted to take over the main house.  As much as he loves the place, he decided he would rather give us the opportunity.  I really do have a pretty rad brother!  Matthew and I had to chew on the idea a bit, but we couldn't look past all the potential and opportunity that the main farm had to offer.  The open grassland, the woodland, the gardens, the barns and room for livestock, the space for the children and the business.  We would have been stupid to have walked away in the hopes of finding something else.  We agreed, and in October we made the move. 

My childhood home.  I admit, I've missed this place.

The barns and some of the gardens.


A piece of our front yard.  Plenty of room to play!

Some of our animals enjoying their new, albeit snowy, pasture area.
It's so nice to be back in the home I grew up in.  I missed the woodwork and the rustic design.  My mom and dad built this house with their own hands back in the early 80's.  Do-it-yourself was all the rage then.  It kind of reminds me of the current movement going on.  It's really quite special to me knowing my children get to grow up in this house, too.  

Mom seems to enjoy having us here and we all help each other.  Since dad passed away, she can't run the farm on her own.  It would just be impossible.  My brother moved back and lived here during these two years that dad has been gone, only to move back up the the Columbus area a few weeks before we moved in.

We are truly blessed.  So many would give so much to be able to have a farm like this.  I count my blessings everyday and remind myself of how thankful and grateful I should be.  
  
God Bless!
Rachel

3 comments:

  1. Michelle has seen it, but I still want to come see the new digs!! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blog you can make your own farm like this and enjoy a lot of of earning of money and full fill your dream for that purpose you need some tractor and other implements that you can buy from at a discounted rate from MF 375 2WD FOR Sale in Botswana & MF 375 4WD FOR Sale in Botswana and also contact through
    info@masseyferguson.co.bw
    Sales@masseyferguson.co.bw
    WHATSAPP INQUIRY:

    +923170001715
    +923170001572

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this post your post is so nice and very informative post thanks for sharing this post
    Massey Ferguson MF-360

    ReplyDelete